Tuesday 19 November 2013

World Toilet Day

Did you know that today was World Toilet Day? Did you even know there was a World Toilet Day?! The aim of the day is to raise awareness of the one in 3 people on this globe who don't have access to a toilet. Can you imagine not being able to go in private? As well as that thought being just quite horrific, it is also believed to be on of the main causes of girls dropping out of school when they reach puberty.

It didn't come as a surprise to me to learn that 66% of those in the world practising open defecation live in India. You see it, children going at the side of the road, properly going.  Its never pleasant and never a sight you get used to, I find it one of the most disturbing things to see.  I know there are lots of unpleasant things that happen in the world but as a whole they are behind closed doors.  This should be and isn't.  
About 10 years ago, I visited a crèche on a building site for the children of the construction workers run by a charity called Mobile Crèche.  The children ranged from 12 days to 12 years old.  None of the bubas wore a nappy and after meal times all the children that were big enough to walk were led outside to an area where they could all 'go' together. I wonder what Ofsted would make of that?

So in honour of World Toilet Day, I thought I would share a campfire song with you that was very popular when I was a Guide, particularly on camps where there weren't plumbed in facilities!
Tiptoe
 (The chorus is to the tune of "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas")

I'm dreaming of a flush toilet
Just like the ones we have at home
With a silver chain
and proper drain
And somewhere for it all to go
So...
Tiptoe through the tent pegs
Through the tent pegs
To the lavatory
Come tiptoe
Through the tent pegs with me
Cos....
I'm dreaming of a flush toilet
Just like the ones we have at home
With a silver chain
and proper drain
And somewhere for it all to go


And if that wasn't exciting enough for you - have a go at this great little game from Unicef - Toilet Trek

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...