Tuesday 27 May 2014

Birthday Cake

This post has been lurking in my 'to-do' list for the last month, forgive the time delay and enjoy!

So tonight's the night. The night I bake a cake for little owls 2nd birthday.

I have, um, not a lot of experience in the cake baking department but have somehow set my ambitions quite high this year.

I blame pinterest.

If I succeed I will be a cake baker extraordinaire.

If I fail?

I will be quite sad and pop to the supermarket on the way home.

Or get papa owl to bake one.

The cakes I have made have always come out a bit wonky so I thought I would have a go at a hemisphere one from Lakeland.


And I some how got it into my head that it would be really pretty if I baked a rainbow cake.

You know - those really pretty ones you see on pinterest?  Those tricky looking cakes...

Now the idea with pinterest is that people share tutorials on all these wonderful ideas, but for a novice like me, I was a bit scared to look, what if they were too hard?

So I buried my head in the sand and sailed up that famous river in Egypt.

But last weekend I realised I would be sad if I didn't at least try so I quickly ordered myself some pretty food colourings from and started seeking advice from my friends on facebook.

The cake tin said it needed a 6 egg recipe.  I have been told that you double the value for eggs and that gives you the ounces for butter self raising flour and caster sugar.  This is very much like a D grade maths GCSE question.

My plan is to make up a mixture for each egg, add the food colouring and then start again with the next mixture. 6 eggs = 6 colours, 7 in a rainbow but who can tell the difference between indigo and violet anyhow!

I'm a bit worried it won't fit but I've measure the tin and know it holds 3 pints so I'm going to check that the mixture for 1 egg is less than 1/2 a pint (been told also to aim for 2/3s full as cake should rise - haha!)

Wish me luck!
Recipe
1 egg
2oz flour
(1/2 teaspoon of baking powder)
2 oz sugar
2 oz butter

 
 Don't the colours look fab!  And the best bit is - they were going to fit in the mixing bowl!


 So now it was time to put it in the oven and wait... it felt like such a long wait...
 
I was pretty please with the result, it looked like the colours had merged, they weren't the straight lines I was hoping for,  but it did appear to still have some variance in its colours, so all was not lost, and besides - I'm a novice - I'm just pleased there was cake that looks like it was edible.  I covered it in chocolate, sprinkles, silver balls and a lion - Little Owl's favourite things - at least the shape wasn't a failure!

But then... when I cut into the cake and found....

Isn't this the best cake you have EVER seen?!!!!  And it tasted amazing too!  I'm chalking this one up as a success!


CelebrationCakesAndBakes

15 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks amazing!! I've got about 6 weeks until Toby's 1st birthday - I better getting my thinking cap on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe he is nearly one! How exciting!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I've been wanting to try a rainbow cake for ages. Thanks for linking up to the #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing! I'm making my sons 1st birthday cake next month, a bit worried as I'm no baker! #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does look amazing, and you're right - pinterest has a lot to account for! #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you!!! That cake really does look amazing! #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so pretty inside! Well done you :-) I think I am going to make a rainbow cake for my daughter's birthday this year, I've seen so many of them online and they look stunning x Char
    (http://charlotteskitchenblog.blogspot.co.uk/ - feel free to pop in and say hi!)
    #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done you! I had a near on nervous breakdown making my sons first bday cake last year, so this year I got a professional in!
    Thanks for using #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum always bought our cakes, but my mother-in-law always baked them, and Papa Owl insists on it! Going to struggle to top this though!

      Delete
  8. Wow! That's brilliant! The colours are amazing. I must put a rainbow cake on my list of things to try.
    Thanks for linking up with #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful, Id love if you linked to my Celebration Cakes and Bakes linky :) http://jaisee.com/mummymakescakes/junes-celebration-cakes-and-bakes-with-mays-roundup/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - that's really kind of you - I'll pop on over now

      Delete
  10. Thanks for joining in, if you wouldn't mind adding the badge to your post that would be great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done - sorry, would have done it before but a sudden trip to Holland got in the way!

      Delete
  11. Wow this is such a colourful cake, looksgreat x #CelebrationCakesandBakes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...